07 June, 2007

And this shall be the sign to you (Exodus 3:12)

This is for the J-school kids out there. As with any job change, I felt a little apprehensive after I signed my contract. My nerves were assuaged, though, when I received some files from the journalism adviser I would be replacing. On the cover of the school newspaper's staff manual was a quote from a familiar name: “Good writing is clear thinking made visual.” Can you guess said this? Here's a hint: Some of us suspected that he took quick naps during our tutorials. That's right, it's ...


Guido Stempel III, my first adviser at Ohio University. I thought maybe the journalism adviser was a fellow Scripps grad, but it turns out she just read the quote somewhere and thought it was a short and apt description of her philosophy on journalism. Now, I'm not a huge believer in fate or omens, as the title of this blog belies, but I have to admit this was pretty reassuring, especially considering that the very same day, I was briefed about my new school's safe area guidelines and procedures, which outline what to do in case a new Six-Day or even Six-Decade War breaks out. But more important, I am happy that good ol' Stempel is getting the international recognition he deserves. It's like Tel Aviv is just another Athens, Ohio, except with more firepower and less pork.

1 comment:

Merrie Leininger said...

Guido is a Hebrew name, isn't it?
Here's hoping that the West Bank is lined is 21 bars and that the only riot you see is when they close down early during the time change. -Merrie